Wednesday, July 4, 2012

New Review and Author Interview -The Brotherhood Of Piaxia by Michael Drakich

Release Notes is thrilled to feature The Brotherhood of Piaxia by Micheal Drakich.  In addition to the review, Micheal has been gracious enough to answer a few questions about his book and how it came to be.  I hope you enjoy!


 Book Synopsis

Years have passed since the overthrow of the monarchy by the Brotherhood of Warlocks and they rule Piaxia in peaceful accord. But now forces are at work to disrupt this rule from outside the Brotherhood as well as within! Follow Tarlok, Savan and Tessia as their paths intertwine, with the Brotherhood in pursuit and the powerful merchant's guild manipulating the populace for their own end.


At the author's request, I reviewed this story and I can say that I did really enjoy it.  It is well written with a wonderfully thought out plot and will leave the reader truly engaged.  One issue I had was the number of characters and at first, I was a little confused until I could sort everyone out.  This, however, does not distract from the story and the characters themselves are interesting and delightful.  It's not often that you see male characters shown with such closeness and camaraderie with each other.  That fact helped to make you really become engaged with the characters and want to see them succeed in their quest.  My only change would be maybe fewer characters so there could be more character development along with the plot.

It was so easy to become one with the story.  Everything was so vivid and I couldn't be help but be sucked into this fantasy world.  Even though this was a different universe, it was still realistic and the descriptions allowed you to visualize the different scenes and settings. This story was full of magic and fantasy and all of it was believable, well, as believable as fantasy can be!  There is also political intrigue and just a touch of romance. It was an imaginative story and my time was well spent.  If you are a fan of fantasy, I think you would enjoy this story.

To purchase this book:

  

In Micheal's Words: 
 
When did you first realize you wanted to be an author?
It was about six and a half years ago. I had recently purchased a fantasy novel which was part of a series of some repute. In fact, it even had a television series made after it. After reading it I came to the conclusion it was one of the worst novels I had ever read. I thought I could do better. So on Monday, February 20, 2006, at 5:23:53 PM I sat down and began writing. I haven’t looked back since.

On average, how long does it take you to write a book?
Novels vary in length and vary in the amount of research required. Don’t forget I still have a full time job employed as other than a writer. My average time is eight to nine months.

Where do you find writing inspiration?
It’s hard to pinpoint that one. With each novel I’ve written I’ve sat down and simply started writing. I’d come up with a concept and then run with it. The development of the plot, characters and subplots would manifest as I wrote.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
I’m fifty-five now, so obviously a late bloomer at this. Simple math puts me at forty-eight when I began.

What do you think makes a good story?
Characters. Readers want to emote with them, feel their struggles, their moments of anguish, and their triumphs.

Does your family (and/or close friends) know that you write and are a published author? If so, are they supportive of your efforts? 
Absolutely. A group of my close friends serve as beta readers of my novels.

Is there another sub-genre aside from your primary sub-genre that you would like to write for and why?
I consider myself a writer of speculative fiction which is much more encompassing than saying fantasy or science fiction, my two favorites. I would hate to get pegged into one specific genre. So far, I have released a science fiction novel and novelette, and now an epic fantasy. Waiting for editing is a thriller and my current WIP is another scifi. I have two more fantasies planned and would like to take a shot at a horror.

Are there any other types of fiction/literature that you enjoy reading? 
I like ancient history and have enjoyed thrillers, but the vast amount of my reading has been science fiction and fantasy.

How important is reader feedback, good or bad, to you?
I list in my author bio a request for anyone who buys one of my novels to visit again and post a review. I’ve taken an approach where there are no bogus reviews on my works. All are submitted by honest bloggers and strangers. I don’t want someone reading the reviews on my work and thinking, “Who wrote that? His mom?”
 
What advice, if any, do you have for aspiring authors?
Openness. My experience with most new writers is a resistance to criticism. Any critique, no matter what is written, is to be taken as one of value. It is unlikely that as a writer you will appease everyone, but you have to try.

No comments: